Monday, September 27, 2010

Finding my MUSE

MUSE at the Staples Center (9/25/10)

Back in the day, I used to be all on top of the newest, hottest band. I went to all-ages punk and ska shows, I could name every band on the radio, including those that were still under the radar (and thus cooler since no one else had heard of them yet). I donned concert T-s and Docs. My hair was a different color every other week.

So what happened?

I got older. I got preoccupied with school and work. And I became - yikes! - uncool. Yeah, I still love my music, but I must say, the bands I know these days are the ones I'm sure most people do. The last concert I paid a ticket to go see? Coldplay at the Honda Center in Anaheim in 2008. Not shabby, but I know there are plenty of great music I'm missing out on.

Thanks to my younger sis, who graciously gave me her extra ticket, I got to see MUSE at the Staples Center the other night. I've liked MUSE for a few years now, but after watching them live, I think they're probably the best rock performance I've seen. No kidding. MUSE is a combination of progressive rock, alternative and metal with the showmanship of a 70's stadium rock band. With rousing lyrics inciting change and action in the face of injustice, MUSE resonates with today's generation.

Concert highlights? The rousing Uprising was the perfect opener, and Time is Running Out was a hard rocking highlight. Crowd fave was the radio hit Starlight where lead singer Matthew Bellammy handed over vocal duties to the audience who knew the chorus word for word. My favorite was the riff-pounding Hysteria.

Even from our nosebleed seats you can feel the energy. People rocking out, moving and singing along from all levels. I almost forgot the rush you get from watching a live performance, that beyond the music and the visual experience, the crowd reaction and being a part of the excitement is what takes a good performance to the next level. It becomes...spellbinding.


No comments:

Post a Comment