Monday, September 20, 2010

The "Olympic" fig leaf

In my first post, I referred to the symbolic fig tree in Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. Each fig represented some life dream the main character Esther wanted to accomplish. One of the dreams was becoming an Olympic champion, a dream that I know is unrealistic for me considering that I'm out of shape and over-the-hill at 30, compared to Olympic athletes who've trained since emerging out of the womb.

But there's an Olympic-like feat I know I want to accomplish before I get too old and rickety.

That goal?

I want to run a full marathon. I want to complete a 26-mile race. I wouldn't be doing it for a particular time, I just want to run the entire thing at my own pace without stopping.

For some, that's an easy task, but for me -- the kind of gal who was never into sports -- it's a huge, Herculean feat. Growing up, my sisters all had ribbons and trophies from their days on swim teams, and I never contributed to the awards case that sat proudly in display in our home. Now, I want to prove to myself that I can push my body to accomplish something I never thought I could.

I did run a half-marathon once almost three years ago in Phoenix, Arizona for the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon, and the 13 miles was excruciating. I thought that would be my life's "Olympic" feat...but that was only half of the big one. The big daddy. The real Olympic event. I've always wondered...what if I could accomplish that one?
Yep, that's me with my medal after finishing the Phoenix half marathon in 2007.

So, while I look for a job, I'm in need of another goal. The hubby wants to get in shape and start running and I think this would be an excellent goal to work towards together.

The date? That would be March 20, 2011, The LA Marathon.

With about six months to go, I need to get cracking on training. There's Team in Training, an organization that helps you train while you raise funds for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society...but it's a huge commitment. You have hit thousands of dollars in donations, and if you don't...you pay the difference. Ouch! It's a great organization though...and I'm still contemplating if I have the time. I do now, but who knows how busy I'll be when I do find a job and trying to train in the meantime.

Tonight, the hubs and I will take on our first jog. The goal for today's workout? Two miles.
Baby steps. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment