Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Finding Filipino identity through food


As a Filipino-American, I'm familiar with topics on Filipino identity and discovery. I'm accustomed to the dialogue that goes along with it -- the yearning to learn more about our little-known or recognized history, the desire to hold onto dying traditions and languages, the generational divide between Americanized Filipino youth and their immigrant parents. As a college student rediscovering my own ethnic heritage, I clamored for all things Filipino-centric, looking for things that were "genuine" and even contemplated an "authentic" Filipino tribal tattoo on my back. The irony was that the tribal tattoo was as foreign to me as any other non-Pinoy, and even to my own immediate ancestors -- none of whom most likely,  I would later gather, bore tribal tattoos.
My name in ancient Filipino script
Pinay-pride Guess heels

But it didn't matter, because I was growing to love all things Filipino, where in the past I had grown to be ashamed of it. It was liberating and exciting, and that time in my life was indeed a learning and growing experience. Now, that I'm a little older, I no longer care to have a Filipino tribal tattoo on my back (or any tattoo for that matter), and my cravings for all things Pinoy-centric has calmed down. I no longer romanticize the culture, but I continue to have respect and honor for my own heritage. I can say that I am proudly Filipino and I can enjoy my identity as a Filipino-American without feeling that I am either confined or completely defined by it.
Wow, didn't know San Pedro can be quite pretty!

This past weekend, we attended the Philippine Arts and Culture Festival in Pt. Fermin Park in San Pedro. There was Filipino art galore, novelty items like the ever-present giant wooden fork and spoon that hangs in nearly every Filipino household (yes, growing up, there was a pair in our home), booths on ancient Filipino medicine and arts, traditional performances and food...oh, yes the food.

While I love Filipino arts, celebrating community and a good tinikling, I would be lying if I didn't say the main reason for me to go to this annual festival multiple times is for its food. Filipino food is home to me. While there are more celebrated and refined cuisines in this world, my personal love is Filipino food. It signifies mom, family, gatherings, love and celebration. And I can rarely pass up an opportunity to relive it all.

While scoping out the different food vendors, we settled on White Rabbit, a Filipino-fusion food truck. With LA's Korean-Mexican fusion truck Kogi gaining legions of customers through it ingenious Twitter marketing campaign, I'm seeing a whole new crop of the Asian-inspired roach coaches.
The White Rabbit food truck

Novelty idea? A shortlived fad? I dunno. But I loved that I could order a meal of sisig on the go.
Pork sisig

Sisig is a simple, but tasty melange of pork bits and crunchy grinds, jalepeno, garlic and onions. Doesn't sound particularly pleasing, but my taste buds love it. That's the thing with much of Filipino cuisine. We take what most would consider rudimentary, simple or just plain crap and make it golden. 
 
The hubs ordered a sample of their Filipino tacos-one with pork tocino, one with bistek (Filipino beef steak), and another with chicken adobo. Maybe I'm just too much of a purist when it comes to Filipino food, but putting these three flavors in a taco is just a little too far off the grid for me. It's like french fries. Sure, you can put it with salt and vinegar, maybe even mayonaise. But it's best with ketchup, and to someone raised on Mickey D's kids meals, it's almost blasphemous with anything else.
My sister's Spam and Egg slider from the Manila Machine

My sister chose a spam and egg slider at the Manila Machine, another Filipino food truck. One of it's owners is the writer of one of my favorite food blogs, Burnt Lumpia. With a slice of fried egg, spam and a little banana ketchup in between a fluffy pieces of pan de sal, this tiny, almost-bitesized sandwich is pure Filipino goodness.
My ube and red bean ice cream bar

To cap off our Filipino cuisine sampling, we bought some ice cream. I stuck with ube, a type of purple sweet yam that's a mainstay in much of Filipino desserts. As most know, Pinoys love their purple stuff. My ube ice cream bar was filled with red bean. Each bite reminded me of frozen halo halo (without the coconut).

After maxing out our money on food and Pinoy memorabilia, we called it a day. Now, what to do with my new pair of oversized fork and spoon? No, just kidding, haven't gone there yet. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment