Sunday, July 17, 2011

The intrepid traveler

With gray skies and a light drizzle rolling through Victoria, Isaac and I decided to head to the Royal B.C. Museum.

It was there I discovered the Canadian artist and writer Emily Carr. She traveled to remote abandoned Indian villages during a time solitary travel for women was frowned upon by Victorian society. She captured a people's character, their pains, their joy, their soul as best as an outsider could. She crafted words as efficiently as a reporter, but as vibrant as her paintings.

While reading passages of Klee Wyck during a ferry ride out of Swartz Bay, I yearned to capture that same kind of spirit with sincerity, honesty and power in my own career. I yearned for that courage to travel beyond what I know, however far the distance, to create a piece of work that transforms, that compels understanding and progress..

Ms. Carr, thank you for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment