Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pursuing my "Happyness"


I recently wrapped up, after months of delay, Chris Gardner's inspirational story, "The Pursuit of Happyness."

Yes, I did see the Will Smith flick and, yes, it compelled me to read the novel. I'm glad I did, because reading it gave me more insight on the man who literally made a millions off of nothing (in his case, a negative bank account).

Also, reading the book made me think of my own "happyness" (if you read the novel or see the movie, the misspelling comes from a sign from his son's questionable daycare facility).

More than a year ago, I earned my masters in Communications from CSU Fullerton. I was a managing editor for an Asian American fashion and lifestyle magazine. Life was good. Then my magazine folded due to a lagging economy. After years of a career in journalism and communication, I was without a job. Living at home with the parents. Then I got married, and I was truly happy. But there was a part of me that wasn't quite complete. I felt like my professional career was at a stand still. While I enjoyed making a home for my hubby, and taking on culinary adventures in the kitchen while, previously, I lacked the time to do so, I felt there was more that I had to do.

I decided to volunteer, taking on projects with the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena. Being of Asian background, and my husband being both Asian and Pacific Islander, I've always been interested in API arts, culture and issues (one of my fave blogs is Angry Asian Man).

Then, slowly, I realized that I am happy. Even though I need a job, and want a truly satisfying career, it doesn't take away from the things I am truly blessed to have. I'm married to my best friend and soulmate (Cheesy, but true). I have a truly loving family that is continually growing (a niece will be born any day now!). I have friends that have been there for me throughout the years and continue to do so. I'm making new friendships and relationships I truly value. I'm savoring the little moments that I didn't have time to do before in between work and graduate school -- reading, cooking, writing, blogging, watching movies, even things like cuddling and taking afternoon naps with the hubby!

I haven't let being unemployed define me, and I think that has kept me sane, happy and has allowed me to truly enjoy the blessings I do have.

For that, I know I've found my "Happyness."

No comments:

Post a Comment